Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Well... That Wasn't Awkward... PT. 2

So last Thursday... I get up, start my day... coffee & blogs... I shower, get ready, and head in to work... I'm slammed... My morning is busy, and goes by quickly... I finish with my 10:30 a little early, walk him to the front... He pays, reschedules and is out the door... I'm sweeping my station, when the receptionist comes back to tell me, my 11:00 (Scott) is here...

Syn- Tell him I'll be right with him... I finish sweeping the hair, and walk up to the front
Syn- Well Hi :) he's sitting there, looking very much the hairdresser... (black button up, black slacks, and black boots) I say that because, my salon is very casual... I wear the same thing almost every single day (t-shirt, jeans, and boots... I hate dressing up)
Scott- Hey... he gets up, we hug You look good...
Syn- It's good to see you. Come on back... we go back to my station
Syn- Have a seat...

Here are the highlights of our conversation...

Scott- he looks around... I see you're still into this shit...
Syn- I have framed comics, comic art on my walls, and a few action figures (newest one- Optimus Prime from the Transformers movie)...
what the fuck!... um, of course... I'm a nerd, what can I say.

Syn- So... What's been going on?
Scott- Well, We moved back... his mom moved up to Chicago about 2 years after he did... I love being back in Atlanta, but I hate where I live... Mom seems happy tho... We're down past the airport...
Syn- So, south Georgia... LOL... anything past the airport to me is south Georgia... he laughs

Scott- So, I hear you have a motorcycle...
Syn- Yeah, I got it a couple of years ago.
Scott- So, where is it? ??
Syn- Home... I haven't been riding that much lately... I've considered selling it.
Scott- Yeah, thats what Toni said... Toni is a sales rep that came in with one of our regular reps this past spring... we had a brief conversation about our motorcycles...
Scott- You have a car to? why is he asking me questions he seems to already know the answers to...
Syn- Yeah. I got a Mini last year... LOL... you can't miss it, it's got the Superman insignia all over it...
Scott- cool... smirk... You know I hate those things, they're pretentious.

Syn- So, Bern told me you took the international education job... Thats awesome...
Scott- Yeah, it is awesome... I have to go to Madrid, in October...
Syn- That is so fucking cool...

Scott- How is your family doing?
Syn- Well... I gave him the Category 5 ShitStorm (short version)
Scott- Well... I'm glad to see you grew some balls and stood up to your family...
Syn- who the fuck are you... you don't know me... Um... Yeah

Scott- You look like you've been working out...
Syn- Not as often as I should...
Scott- Still got little arms tho... push it down

Finally... I finish... He says it's perfect, he knew it would be... I walk him to the front...
Scott- Thank you for doing this... I really appreciate it.
Syn- No worries.

The entire time he was in my chair... It felt as tho he was baiting, pushing me to explode... why? I don't know... maybe to see, if he could still manipulate me... push my buttons... maybe to justify something in his mind... maybe he just wanted me to feel what he does... everyday...
I learned a lot from him, and the one that followed (2yr X) the only serious relationships I've had... They were very similar... controlling, manipulative, negative, and would say or do anything to keep me where they wanted me... I know to watch for the patterns...
Anyway, back to the Scott.
A large part of me wanted to blast him...
Who the fuck do you think you are... coming in here, assuming that after all these years, you fucking know me, know anything about me... Anything you want to know, just fucking ask... I'm not that insecure, scared boy you knew then... I don't depend on anyone but me for my happiness... Yeah I grew up... and I'm fucking proud of the man I am... I work hard, I'm honest, I'm a good guy... guess what else motherfucker... you can't manipulate me... you can't hurt me anymore... you twisted fuck...
It was then that I realized... He could... In that split second, up front... I lost it... if only on the inside... I was looking down at my appointments (lost in thought) He was saying something....
Syn- I'm sorry, what?
Scott- I said you look great... you look happy.
Syn- whatever or whoever you're looking for Scott... it's not here... You know... I can honestly say... Life is good... I have never been more happy than I am now... smile ever.
Syn- It's good to see you... tell your Mom I said hello, take care of yourself...
Scott- You to Michael...

As Always... Be Kind To Yourselves... I'm Fine, Thanks For Asking

9 comments:

Steve said...

Well I think you proved your point, better by remaining calm. :)

Christopher said...

It probably drove him NUTS that you didn't lose your cool in front of him...good for you!...I don't even know him, but already I want to punch him in the throat...cuz that's what friends are for!

Sue said...

Sigh. Great job Synrgy! Yeah, I had a bf like that once. You end up swearing at them in the inside, but remaining calm on the outside, just being overjoyed that you are not with that controlling asshole anymore.

Wayne said...

Coming from a fellow stylist, you did a comendible job!

Donnie said...

WOO HOO! *clapping* You handled that situation excellently! Congrats.

Just from that little exchange, I can tell you were the grownup in that situation.

Sh@ney said...

Sounds like it was a very akward appointment Syn, but it also seems you handled it perfectly... I often think about how I would feel running into someone from my past, that was either not so pleasant a time or we parted on rough ground...I imagine I would feel similar to how you did right here! I just hope I could keep my somewhat btter judgment in tact!
Good for you for not losing your cool, that was mighty BIG of you & a good sport! xoxo

cb said...

I think I would have taken one chunk out of the back of his hair for each snarky comment.

(sounds like the mutherfucker would've been bald in no time)

RG said...

Good for you. You did a good thing by not cutting into his hair on the back of his head, "I Am An Asshole".

Gina Bruce said...

LOL at rg.

He's not worth a single thought-wave in your brain, M. It must be a bitch for him to see you in your prime, but sounds like you are the better for having said no so many years ago.

you deserve and will sow so much better in your time.

much love
XOXO
GBoogie