Sunday, January 7, 2007

Meat Cookies

It's Christmas Eve... I'm hangin' with my Mom in Bamalama... It's becoming a tradition for us to cook on Christmas Eve... Well more like I watch and chat with her in the kitchen while she cooks... I don't cook, however, I am a superior mixer and stirrer of things... plus I still get the bowl for licking and am her favorite taste tester... actually I'm her favorite period... Ask any of my siblings, being the baby boy has it's perks LOL ...
Christmas Morning... Coffee ... I run outside for a smoke (yes)... I come back, Santa was here and gone... I had missed that man again this year... but he left me more than coal... So I guess I was good this year ;) We watch the Christmas Day Parade (Disney) Mom has an odd fascination with The Disney Channel... (we all have our things) by about 11:30 or 12:00 I get this raging headache... It's pounding... My Mom is slowly poisoning me... I tell her about my head ... She says "Maybe it's the lack of caffeine" Huh?... I couldn't wrap my head around it... She said "the coffee honey... it was Decaf" OMGoddess ... Woman what is wrong with you... you cant give an addict Decaf... Don't worry kids I got the real stuff later...
So we descend on Sister Payum's (southernese) house like crack whores on a well dressed business man... Merry Christmas, hello hello, catch up and snack... the kitchen table where we gather is a spread of southern delights... My favorite being my Mom's Sausage balls...


YUM... Big tradition in my family... no matter the gathering there is a tray (with my Mom's name taped to the bottom of it) full of these nuggets of love... bite size sausage cheese biscuits... I'm Home :)
Sister Cinny (southernese) arrives with her crew in tow and proudly presents her tray of assorted goodies... Merry Christmas, Hello Hello, catch up and snack... I point to a particular item on Sister Cinny's tray... Whats that... She said " I tried Mom's recipe for Sausage balls"... "But they didn't come out right"... LOL understatement... They were round and flat like cookies, not a nugget in the bunch... I completely fall into "little brother mode" ... Of course I cant resist... I'm eating them (they're actually really good) but I cant stop myself from giving her shit... It's the little brother in me... Dang Sister Cinny these sausage cookies are really good
over and over and over again... She's giving me the pissed off eyeball... Like when were younger... Its our nature... The nieces and nephews are in the den the adults are in the kitchen we've moved on to other subjects and the 9 year old nephew in his best southernese "Whoever made these Meat Cookies... they're real good" ... I thought I was going to piss myself I was laughing so hard... I'm Home... Merry Christmas

3 comments:

Gina Bruce said...

I NUB NUB NUB sausage cheesey bikkits.

And - why did you never tell me you were blogging. is this new?

dah-dat-da-da-daaah
I'm nubbin' it.
GBoogs.

Anonymous said...

You said "meat"!

lol...

XXOO, Kaori

Anonymous said...

"...My favorite being my Mom's Sausage balls..."

that phrase made me laugh... and then cringe. And then laugh again.

I'm gonna have bad dreams now